With around 44% of Americans currently owning a smartphone and the majority of the other 56% probably knowing what a smartphone is, I probably don’t even need to write this post as many people will consider most of it common knowledge. However, I know that the above statistic does not necessarily hold true all across the world and because I don’t want anyone visiting my blog to feel overwhelmed and without a starting point, this post is designed to make sure everyone has a basic knowledge of what mobile apps are.
In a nutshell, a mobile app is a piece of software designed specifically to be run on a smartphone, PDA, or certain other mobile devices. However, these apps are not limited to being run on phones. The popular Apple iPod Touch and iPad devices both support apps.
Mobile apps are designed to give the user a better experience than they could get from accessing a “mobile” version of a website. Also, mobile apps give the user the ability to do much more advanced things with their device than they could do with a “mobile” website.
In today’s modern society, apps are easy to download and have become a major part of the average American’s life. There are hundreds of thousands of mobile apps available either for free or purchase for your smartphone. There are so many different things you can do with mobile apps from playing games to helping do your taxes and everything in between!
Smartphones in general are taking the world by storm and the popularity of these devices is not slowing down. Apple is now activating over 230,000 iPhones per day and Google is now activating over 700,000 Android phones per day. These statistics are impressive to begin with but the really amazing thing is that these numbers are growing month after month and showing no sign of slowing down!
The two biggest players in the app market, Apple and Google both have a public app marketplace that they have opened up to private developers. At first only large companies or experienced programmers had the knowledge or money necessary to create mobile apps, but quickly that changed. It is now very possible for the average person to turn their ideas into mobile apps and make money from them!
Hopefully if you just discovered this blog and were overwhelmed, you will now have at least a basic understanding of what mobile apps are and you are now on the right track to learn more about how you can create them and make money from them!